Risk Management

Insurance Claim Filing Instructions

The investigation or settlement of claims against the university should not be undertaken by an individual, department or other unit. If you become aware of a claim, or if someone presents a claim against the university, the claim should be referred to the Director of Purchasing, Auxiliary Services, and Risk.

Reporting Instructions

When operating a facility open to the public, things can happen; people may get injured, and property may get damaged. When an incident does occur, you and/or your staff should report all accidents/incidents immediately to the Department of Public Safety (401-232-6911), which will submit an accident report form to Risk Management.

The accident/incident report is not an admission of fault by the university. It is a means of gathering information surrounding an injury or damage that occurred. The details provided assist Risk Management in conducting a further investigation of the incident.

Your Responsibilities:

Assess the situation and contact appropriate authorities as needed.

Document the incident using the accident/incident report.

Don’t make any promises or financial commitments on behalf of the university.

If possible, answer questions or direct them elsewhere. For example, if the harmed party asks, “What is the university going to do about this?” then your response would be, “My responsibility is to document the information.” Any questions should be directed to the Department of Public Safety and Risk Management.

Vendor & Contractor Insurance Requirements

All contractors/vendors should have the following minimum insurance limits, unless approved in advance by the Director of Purchasing, Auxiliary Services, and Risk.

  • Commercial General Liability – $1,000,000 per occurrence/$3,000,000 annual aggregate
  • Products Liability – $1,000,000 per occurrence/$3,000,000 annual aggregate. (This is only needed if a product is being purchased by the university).
  • Commercial Automobile Liability $1,000,000 Combined Single Limit
  • Workers Compensation – Statutory
  • Employers’ Liability – $1,000,000
  • Umbrella Liability – $1,000,000 per occurrence

These are the most common insurance requirements requested by the university; however, other lines of insurance coverage may be required for certain types of exposure and limits of liability may vary depending on the type of contract.  Examples of other insurance that may be required are:

  • Cyber/Data Breach (for any contract where a vendor has access to PII of students or employees): $1,000,000 per claim
  • Professional Liability (Architects, Engineers, Healthcare are examples): $1,000,000 per claim/$3,000,000 annual aggregate
  • Pollution Liability (for any contractor working with hazardous materials): $1,000,000 per claim/$3,000,000 annual aggregate

All insurance carriers listed on a certificate of insurance must have a minimum AM BEST rating of A or better. Ratings indicate the size and financial stability of the insurance company. The agent shown on the certificate can provide you with information regarding these ratings.

Bryant University should be named as an additional insured for General Liability and Umbrella Liability.  The additional insured status should be noted on the certificate

Please reach out to the Risk Management office if you have any questions about insurance requirements for a contract or if there are questions about a certificate of insurance meeting the requirements within a contract.

Document Retention Policy

Please see the chart below for the university’s document retention policy related to insurance records.

Document Type Retention Span
Certificates of Insurance, Indemnification Agreements, Hold Harmless Agreements, Contracts 7 years after expiration
Insurance Policies (Liability, Property, and Other Policies Permanent
Incident Reports, Accident Reports 7 years after expiration