Academic Credit

Advanced Standing
Bryant University awards up to 30 credits for scores of 3 or higher on some of the Advanced Placement (AP) tests available through the University Entrance Examination Board. Each AP exam must be reviewed and approved by Bryant’s Office of Admission. Bryant University will consider granting up to 12 credits for a limited number of subject examinations available through the University Level Examination Program (CLEP). Credit may also be awarded to students who have successfully completed military service schools as qualified by “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Services.” Students who have significant, relevant work experience may also satisfy certain course requirements through departmental testing programs. Challenge exams are available to students who believe they have acquired, through employment and/or individual study, the knowledge and skill that is equivalent to a Bryant University catalog course. To sit for a “challenge examination,” a student must apply through the appropriate department chair and pay the associated fees. There are testing fees associated with several of these advanced placement tests.

Recognizing the strength and quality of the curriculum offered by the International Baccalaureate Program, Bryant University grants advanced standing credit for acceptable higher-level exams with a score of 5, 6, or 7. Bryant awards up to 30 credits based on the particular curriculum requirements. Incoming freshmen students can transfer in a maximum of 30 credits for any combination of the following: Advanced Placement Exams, International Baccalaureate Program with acceptable higher level exams – College Level Examination Program and credit earned and appearing on a college or university transcript with a “C” or better.

Business Credit Hours
At least 50 percent of the business credit hours required for the business degree must be earned at Bryant University. This statement applies to both the residency requirement and limits on transfer credits.
Credit for Off-campus Courses During Special Sessions
Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors (the last 30 credits must be taken at Bryant) desiring to take courses at another University for transfer into Bryant must get prior written approval from an Academic Advisor in the Undergraduate Advising Office. A course description from the bulletin of the University where the course is to be taken should be presented at the time of the request. Courses that are transferred into Bryant are not calculated into the GPA. Under special circumstances, a full-time student may be permitted to take a course at another institution during the regular semester (except senior year), provided that standards of academic progress are not violated, and that a similar course is not available at Bryant.
Double Major or Concentration
Students in good academic standing may choose to develop a double major or concentration. To do so, the student must satisfy the degree requirements for both majors/concentrations. This may mean that students will need to take courses beyond the 122-hour degree program requirement. Students must complete a “Major/Concentration Declaration Form” for both majors or concentrations.
Dual Degree
At the undergraduate level, students must take the equivalent of a full year of study beyond the first baccalaureate degree to earn the second degree. Eligible students are those students in good standing. An application for pursuing dual degrees must be submitted to the Director of Undergraduate Advising in consultation with an academic advisor by the end of the sophomore year. To be awarded two baccalaureate degrees, the student must satisfy the program requirements for both degrees and complete 30 credit hours beyond the first degree for a minimum total of 152 credits.
Transfer Credit
Upper division courses are not eligible for transfer unless they have been taken at appropriate levels at an acceptable institution, and some business courses are subject to validation examinations. Bryant may accept a maximum of 92 semester hours of credit from a four year institution, and a maximum of 62 semester hours of credit from a two year institution. Only courses equivalent in scope, content, and level with a grade of “C” or better may transfer into Bryant. Students who have reached junior standing (62 credits passed) may not transfer courses from a junior college. Courses that are transferred are for credit only and are not calculated into the grade point average (GPA).