Human Resources

Office of Human Resources

Bryant University is focused on building the knowledge and character of individual students, so each can reach his or her personal best in life and their chosen professions.

As a member of our staff, the University is focused on your success as well. We believe that all our staff members are educators, regardless of a person’s position in the University. And we provide the opportunities, training, and support to help employees develop and use talent to help our students.

The Office of Human Resources oversees recruitment, compensation and benefits, training and development, employee relations and labor management, performance management, and payroll for the University.

Office of Human Resources

Unistructure – Administration Hall, 2nd Floor

1150 Douglas Pike

Smithfield, RI 02917
Phone:401-232-6010 Fax:401-232-6971

Important Links:  

Compensation Policy


Compensation Philosophy The Bryant University compensation philosophy is to:

  • Manage pay through a simple, clear program that is consistent with the University’s strategic and organizational objectives, and that enables the University to:
    • Recruit, retain and reward staff;
    • Provide competitive pay opportunities;
    • Provide fair, consistent pay administration across all divisions at the University; and
    • Reward staff for skill development and high performance.
  • Provide managers with sufficient guidelines to make consistent, appropriate pay decisions while also providing flexibility to meet the business and staffing needs of their areas;
  • Provide the Bryant University community with clear, accurate information about the compensation program and how pay is managed.
Contacts: Human Resources 401-232-6010

Related Policies: (Pay Guidelines)

Inclement Weather

Inclement Weather and Emergency Closings

Cancellation of Classes and Office Closings

The University may, from time to time, find it necessary to close the campus due to inclement weather. If the campus is closed, all non-essential staff ordinarily will not be required to work or will be dismissed early and will be compensated for regularly scheduled hours for that day.

Broadcasts covering any delay/cancellation will be announced on radio and television stations in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts (published annually by the Office of University Relations). As media outlets provide only limited information on the University’s schedule during periods of inclement weather, please call the Department of Public Safety Information Line at (401) 232-6002 for a more detailed message. Morning announcements are posted by 6:30 a.m., and evening announcements are posted by 3 p.m.

In the event of inclement weather during working hours, if a non-exempt employee elects to leave before an official closing of the University, he/she may use vacation time for those hours.

Contacts: Department of Public Safety Info Line 401-232-6002


Moving/Relocation Assistance Policy

Moving/Relocation Assistance Policy

As part of Bryant University’s commitment to recruiting the most qualified candidates, the University may provide monetary assistance and reimbursement for certain expenses associated with the relocation of new employees and their families to the Rhode Island area.


Moving/Relocation assistance may be authorized for new employees who meet the following criteria:

  • The one-way commuting distance from the old residence to Bryant is 50 or more miles.
  • The principal individual being relocated will be a regular, full-time employee.  Assistance is typically available for new tenure-track faculty and staff at the director level and above; exceptions will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will require approval of the divisional vice president. There must be an expectation of the individual remaining in the position for longer than one year.
  • The move must take place within 12 months of the employee’s start date.
  • Should the relocated employee voluntarily terminate within his/her first 12 months of employment, the employee must refund to Bryant the full amount of the moving/relocation assistance. Utilization of moving/relocation assistance confirms your acceptance of the terms of this policy.

Covered Expenses:

Reasonable moving/relocation expenses, up to the amount authorized in the employee’s appointment letter, will be reimbursed in accordance with IRS guidelines (see below).

Qualified Moving Expenses

Per IRS regulations, “qualified” moving expenses are expenses incurred within one year from the date the employee first reports to work and includes:

  • Movement of household goods
  • Shipment of automobiles
  • Travel by the shortest, most direct route available by conventional transportation
  • Lodging while traveling
  • Mileage reimbursement at the current rate established by the IRS, parking fees, and tolls.

Nonqualified Moving Expenses

Per IRS regulations, reimbursements/payments classified as “nonqualified” include, but are not limited to:

  • Mileage reimbursement in excess of the current rate established by the IRS
  • Meals
  • Temporary lodging after arriving at your destination
  • Advance house-hunting trip expenses

Reimbursement/payment for moving expenses will be reported on the employee’s W-2.  Expenses considered “qualified” by the IRS will be shown as an excludable moving expense reimbursement and is reported on the W-2 as informational reporting only.  Expenses considered “non-qualified” by the IRS will be included as taxable income.  More information on the IRS guidelines for reimbursement of moving/relocation expenses may be found at .


An employee may either have eligible moving/relocation expenses direct billed to Bryant University and/or apply for reimbursement of covered expenses up to the authorized amount as specified in the employee’s appointment letter.

Direct Payment

Bryant University will direct pay to a moving company, up to the authorized limit, the cost of packing and moving household goods.  The University’s preferred moving contractor is Paul Arpin Van Lines; however, employees may use other moving contractors. Arrangements to contract with a moving company must be approved in advance by the Director of Purchasing.  Bryant reserves the right to require multiple bids from moving contractors.  The authorized amount will be charged to the home budget of the employee.


Reimbursement of eligible moving/relocation expenses will be made upon arrival of the employee.  Employees will need to complete the Travel Advance and Business Expense Reimbursement Form, obtain required signatures, and provide required receipts.

Exceptions to this policy may be approved, in advance, by the president or his/her designee.


Sponsorship Policy (Immigration)

Bryant University (“University”) Sponsorship Policy

H-1B and Permanent Resident Status

H-1B Status:

In its discretion, the University may file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) for a nonimmigrant to come to the U.S. temporarily to perform services. Typically, the University will file the I-129 petition with the USCIS for H-1B status. Petitions may only be filed on behalf of a nonimmigrant who has accepted an appointment for tenure-track Professor, Associate Professor or Assistant Professor, full-time Lecturer or Instructor or other full-time administrative position at the University. Approval, from the President or Division Vice President, or his/her designee, is required to begin the I-129 petition process.

Based upon eligibility and approval, and as a part of the employment process, the I-129 petition is initiated and processed through the Human Resources Department.

The University will pay the required application fees when filing the I-129 petition, which currently include the base application fee plus the fraud prevention and detection fee. The University may, in its discretion, pay expenses associated with securing a written expert opinion or foreign degree equivalency. USCIS Premium Processing Service fees, attorney’s fees for representation of an employee or an employee’s dependents, or the fees associated with petitions/applications for an employee’s dependents, are not covered by the University. All approved expenses incurred by the University are charged to an employee’s division.

In connection with the filing of the I-129 (H-1B) petition on behalf of an employee, the University will comply with the terms of the Labor Condition Application for the duration of the H-1B employee’s authorized period of stay. If the H-1B employee is dismissed from employment by the University before the end of the period of authorized stay, the University will be liable for the reasonable cost of return transportation of the H-1B employee abroad if the employee provides proof, satisfactory to the University, of an intention to return home for a permanent or indefinite period.

Permanent Resident Status:

In its discretion, the University may sponsor employees (tenure-track faculty and full-time administrative staff) for Permanent Resident status. Sponsorship for Permanent Resident status is based upon the employee completing at least one-year of continuous employment with the University and achievement of a satisfactory level of job performance. Approval, from the President or Division Vice President, or his/her designee, is required to begin the Permanent Resident process.

Based upon eligibility and approval, the process to apply for Permanent Resident status (employment-based) is initiated through the Human Resources Department. The University and the employee will select an immigration attorney, from the University approved list, to represent both the University and the employee throughout the process.

The first step in the process to apply for Permanent Resident status is Labor Certification. The University will cover all expenses associated with the Labor Certification step, including, but not limited to, attorney’s fees and advertising expenses, if applicable. These expenses will be billed directly to the University. All approved expenses incurred by the University are charged to an employee’s division.

All remaining expenses associated with applying for Permanent Resident status will be the responsibility of the employee, including, but not limited to, attorney’s fees and all USCIS petition/application fees. These expenses will be billed directly to the employee.


  1. The Human Resources Department should be consulted for all immigration matters relating to new and current employees.
  2. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the President or Division Vice President, or his/her designee.
  3. The University’s sponsorship of an employee for Nonimmigrant or Permanent Resident status does not constitute a guarantee of employment.
  4. The University reserves the right to modify this policy at any time, based upon, but not limited to, changes in applicable law.
  5. This version replaces all previous versions and does not apply to cases pending as of the version’s effective date.