Moving/Relocation Assistance Policy

Moving/Relocation Assistance Policy

As part of Bryant University’s commitment to recruiting the most qualified candidates, the University may provide monetary assistance and reimbursement for certain expenses associated with the relocation of new employees and their families to the Rhode Island area.


Moving/Relocation assistance may be authorized for new employees who meet the following criteria:

  • The one-way commuting distance from the old residence to Bryant is 50 or more miles.
  • The principal individual being relocated will be a regular, full-time employee.  Assistance is typically available for new tenure-track faculty and staff at the director level and above; exceptions will be handled on a case-by-case basis and will require approval of the divisional vice president. There must be an expectation of the individual remaining in the position for longer than one year.
  • The move must take place within 12 months of the employee’s start date.
  • Should the relocated employee voluntarily terminate within his/her first 12 months of employment, the employee must refund to Bryant the full amount of the moving/relocation assistance. Utilization of moving/relocation assistance confirms your acceptance of the terms of this policy.

Covered Expenses:

Reasonable moving/relocation expenses, up to the amount authorized in the employee’s appointment letter, will be reimbursed in accordance with IRS guidelines (see below).

Qualified Moving Expenses

Per IRS regulations, “qualified” moving expenses are expenses incurred within one year from the date the employee first reports to work and includes:

  • Movement of household goods
  • Shipment of automobiles
  • Travel by the shortest, most direct route available by conventional transportation
  • Lodging while traveling
  • Mileage reimbursement at the current rate established by the IRS, parking fees, and tolls.

Nonqualified Moving Expenses

Per IRS regulations, reimbursements/payments classified as “nonqualified” include, but are not limited to:

  • Mileage reimbursement in excess of the current rate established by the IRS
  • Meals
  • Temporary lodging after arriving at your destination
  • Advance house-hunting trip expenses

Reimbursement/payment for moving expenses will be reported on the employee’s W-2.  Expenses considered “qualified” by the IRS will be shown as an excludable moving expense reimbursement and is reported on the W-2 as informational reporting only.  Expenses considered “non-qualified” by the IRS will be included as taxable income.  More information on the IRS guidelines for reimbursement of moving/relocation expenses may be found at .


An employee may either have eligible moving/relocation expenses direct billed to Bryant University and/or apply for reimbursement of covered expenses up to the authorized amount as specified in the employee’s appointment letter.

Direct Payment

Bryant University will direct pay to a moving company, up to the authorized limit, the cost of packing and moving household goods.  The University’s preferred moving contractor is Paul Arpin Van Lines; however, employees may use other moving contractors. Arrangements to contract with a moving company must be approved in advance by the Director of Purchasing.  Bryant reserves the right to require multiple bids from moving contractors.  The authorized amount will be charged to the home budget of the employee.


Reimbursement of eligible moving/relocation expenses will be made upon arrival of the employee.  Employees will need to complete the Travel Advance and Business Expense Reimbursement Form, obtain required signatures, and provide required receipts.

Exceptions to this policy may be approved, in advance, by the president or his/her designee.