General Safety Procedures
|| General Safety and Emergency Procedures when Handling Chemicals or other Hazardous Materials
- Know the chemical you are using and its characteristics/ antidotes in the event of bodily contamination. Read the label. Consult the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available in your department. If still uncertain, contact the Fire Safety Coordinator at Ext. 6001 for guidance.
- Wear proper personal protective equipment for the task. Consult the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) to see what is recommended.
- Know where an immediate source of fresh water, eyewash station, and exit is located in the work area prior to handling any hazardous material.
- Observe all safety precautions and know how to take necessary emergency action to protect yourself and fellow workers in the event of a chemical or solvent spill.
- Know how to obtain medical assistance in the event of a chemical spill or leak. If emergency assistance of any type is required, call the Department of Public Safety at 232-6911.