Accounts Payable

Mission Statement

Accounts Payable strives to ensure the expedient and accurate processing of all payables for the University while adhering to appropriate accounting practices and internal controls. We are also dedicated to providing quality customer service to Bryant departments and to our vendors.


Department Name: Accounts Payable

  • Accounts Payable Supervisor, Ext. 6019
  • Accounts Payable Assistant, Ext. 6569


General Procedures

  • All Requests for Checks are date stamped and reviewed by the Accounts Payable Office for completeness and proper approvals.
  • The Accounts Payable Office will make every effort to correct minor errors found on the check request without returning it to the origination department. It is, however, the responsibility of the department to forward complete and accurate paperwork to the Accounts Payable Office. Check requests that do not follow the University’s guidelines will be returned with a rejection notice.
  • The Accounts Payable Office produces checks at least twice a week. Checks under $10,000 are usually mailed within three business days. Checks $10,000 and over are signed by two financial officers of the University before they are mailed.

Submit To Information and Lead Times

All check requests and employee business reimbursements should be submitted to Accounts Payable – Controller’s Office. Items submitted for payment to Accounts Payable will be returned with an exception notice if the information submitted is not complete.

Allow seven to 10 days for a completed check request or business expense reimbursement to be processed after it is received in Accounts Payable.

In the case when the check is needed more quickly, please indicate “RUSH” or “TOP PRIORITY” on the request and allow three to five days for processing.

Vendor Invoice Mailing Address

Bryant University
Attn: Accounts Payable
1150 Douglas Pike
Smithfield, RI 02917

Important: All Vendor Invoices must reference Bryant University’s Purchase Order number, if applicable. If a Bryant University Purchase Order is not used, then a reference to the departmental organization number is required.

Invoices for purchases made through the Bryant University Purchasing System will be kept and processed by Accounts Payable.

Invoices for purchases not made through the Bryant University Purchasing system will be mailed interoffice to the initiating department for check-request processing.

State Tax Exemption

Bryant University is not liable for state sales tax as it is a tax-exempt organization. For purchases, employees should give all vendors the University’s corresponding state tax-exempt number. State exemption forms are available in the Accounts Payable and Purchasing offices. The exempt states and exempt numbers are listed below:

Rhode Island: 161
Massachusetts: 050 258 810

New York: EX 217806
Florida: 85-8012611632C-1

Tax Reporting Requirements

The IRS requires the University to maintain a signed W-9 form from all payees for year-end 1099 reporting purposes. Non-incorporated companies or individuals (such as consultants, speakers or partnerships) that are compensated for goods or services must furnish their Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number on the W-9 form. The Accounts Payable Office will not process a check request until this form has been received. To find out if a vendor has submitted a W-9 please see the process listed under Banner Navigation for Accounts Payable-Vendor Number and W-9 inquiry.

Wire Payments

If the situation arises and a wire payment must be made, please bring the following information to Accounts Payable. We will then forward the information to the appropriate people for approval. The department will incur a $25 extra charge for each wire processed.

Domestic Wire Information needed: Vendor Bank Name
    ABA Number
Reference Number
Vendor Bank Account Number
Foreign Wire Information needed: Bank Name
     Branch Location
Account Name
Account Number
Swift Code

Payment of Purchase Order Invoices

The University’s process relating to the payment of purchase orders is as follows:

A purchase requisition is initiated by the end user and submitted to purchasing.

A purchase order is then created and sent to the vendor by the purchasing office.

A copy of the purchase order is then sent to the originating department.

After goods are received by Bryant, an invoice is sent by the vendor to the invoice mailing address.

A check request is processed by Accounts Payable and sent to the department for approval.

The department must approve the check request based upon the receipt of goods, the condition of goods, and the price. Any discrepancies are handled between the department and the vendor.

If necessary, the department must then forward the check request to their Vice President for approval.

A check is cut within the appropriate lead times once the approved check request is received in Accounts Payable.

Check Request

Preparing a Check Request

Purpose: To request the University to pay for an item that has been approved, ordered, and delivered, or to pay an advance on a concert, lecture, or entertainment reservation, etc.

Instructions – (Top Area of Check Request)

1. Mailing Instructions: If the check needs to be picked up, please indicate “Call when ready” and add your phone or extension number in this field. You will be called to pick up the check in the Bursar’s office when it is ready.

If the check is to be mailed interoffice, indicate “Send check to” and add the name and department of whoever will be receiving the check.

If the check is to be mailed normally, no information in this field is necessary.

2. Check Payable To: Indicate the full name to whom the check will be issued. If it is a new vendor. a W-9 form is required. (Refer to the Vendor number and W-9 inquiry process for directions on searching the vendor database.)

3. Address: Indicate the address the check will be mailed to. This is the remittance address found on most invoices. If the address is more than four lines, a typewritten addressed envelope needs to be included with the paperwork. (If an envelope is used, the full address must still be on the check request.)

4. Vendor Number: This is available in the Banner system. If a vendor is not listed, a completed W-9 form must accompany the paperwork.

5. Request Date: This is the date you are completing the form.

6. Date Check Needed: In the case of a “RUSH,” this is the date by which the check must be completed.

Travel Advance, Reconciliation, Reimbursement

Preparing a Travel Advance Request

PURPOSE: To request the University to advance monies for an upcoming trip or event.


1. NAME: Enter name of person who will be receiving monies.

2. DEPARTMENT: Enter department name. (Account numbers do not go in this area.)

3. PURPOSE OF TRIP: Enter purpose of trip.

4. ADDRESS: Enter address where Accounts Payable will mail check or enter “Call when ready” with an extension. You will be notified when the check is ready.

5. PART 3: Provide details of Trip (Place, Dates, etc.) This information is required.

Enter the amount of Advance requested.

6. ACCOUNT DISTRIBUTION: Enter Fund Number 11015 and Account Number 14630. (This Fund and Account Number is used exclusively for Travel Advances and should not be used at any other time.)

Print the request.

Sign the form above the Signature of traveler line.

Have the request approved by your departmental supervisor.

Forward request to Accounts Payable for processing.

**Future travel or business expense reimbursements will not be processed until outstanding advances have been reconciled.

Banner Navigation For Accounts Payable Inquiries


1. Type – FAIVNDH

2. “Enter”

3. Click on the flashlight at the end of the vendor field

4. Click on FTIIDEN on the Options pop-up box

5. Click on Enter Query Icon or the “F7” key

6. “Tab”

7. Type all or partial vendor name in the last name field followed by a “ %” (no quotation marks) ex: for Office Concepts type Off%

8. Click on Execute Query Icon or the “F8” key

Use the up/down arrows to highlight the correct vendor if more then one vendor shows up.

9. Double click on the ID number field (vendor to be selected should be highlighted in blue)

10. Tab to fiscal year and change it if necessary

11. Next Block Icon

12. Use the up/down arrows to highlight the invoice, or just click on the invoice.

For description:

1. Highlight the invoice.

2. Click on “Commodity Information” in left column. The description is in the Commodity description field located in the middle of the screen.

For check number:

1. Highlight the invoice.

2. Tab through or use the horizontal scroll bar to get check number if available.

*If the invoice is listed but a check number is not available, the check request is either in the approval process or check process.

For check information:

1. Highlight the invoice.

2. Tab through or use the horizontal scroll bar until the check number field is displayed. Click on the icon located next to the “Check” heading.

3. Tab to bank and type F3 – if it did not default in

  • Next Block Icon

5. Exit

*Please note: This screen does not tell you if the check has been cashed. It gives you a check total and a listing of invoices paid on the check.

13. Click View Invoice Information on Left

14. Click Invoice Header on Left

This shows:

Vendor Invoice Number
Vendor Invoice Date
Mailing address of check

For Organization and Account number:

15. Continue by clicking Accounting Amounts in left column

16. Click on Review Accounting Information in left column

17. Click the Exit Icon

To view another invoice (same vendor) follow steps 11 onward.

To view another invoice, click Rollback and start again with vendor search flashlight.



Query by Banner invoice number, purchase order number or check number

  • Enter Document type INV – for inquiry by invoice (this is Banner generated document number)

Enter Document type PO – for inquiry by purchase order number

Enter Document type CHK – for inquiry by check number

  • “Tab”
  • Type Invoice Number, Purchase Order Number or Check Number in the Doc. Code field.
  • Next Block Icon
  • Click on the area you wish to view

To view status of document click on View Status Indicators in left column and match to the status indicators on the right of the Doc. Code numbers.

Non-resident Alien Tax Policy Guidelines

Bryant University is required by the IRS to comply with specific federal tax withholding and reporting regulations when issuing payments to non-resident alien individuals. The types of payments affected include compensation, wages, honoraria, scholarships, fellowships and, in some cases, reimbursement for travel expenses. The general IRS rule is to withhold taxes at a rate of 30 percent for all payments made to non-resident alien individuals. However, an individual’s visa status, length of stay in the United States, or tax-treaty exemptions with specific countries could possibly reduce or eliminate the 30 percent tax withholding requirement in certain situations.

In order to provide Business Affairs with enough information to make a determination of tax liability, the following steps should be adhered to:

  • Indicate on the Check Request form whether the individual to be paid is a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident).
  • If the individual is not a U.S. Citizen (or permanent resident), have the Individual complete an “Alien Information Form” available in the Accounts Payable Office.
  • Include the individual’s social security number of ITIN on the Check Request.
  • Forward both the Check Request and the Alien Information Form to Accounts Payable for processing.

Once Accounts Payable receives the above documentation, they will research any tax withholding obligations. If there is a tax treaty with the individual’s home country, they will contact the individual to complete an IRS Form 8233 or W8-BEN, which will allow the college to reduce or eliminate the tax requirements. If no tax treaty exists with the individual’s home country, Bryant will withhold federal tax at a rate of 30 percent for all compensation.

One special note regarding Canadian citizens who waive visa status at the border, and other non-U.S. citizens who travel to the University for business on a B1 or tourist visa. The laws have recently been modified for all colleges and universities to pay these persons honoraria and travel expenses if they meet the following criteria:

  • The length of stay cannot exceed nine days
  • They must not have received more than nine honorarium payments in the United States in the six months prior to arriving at Bryant.

Moving Expenses

Reimbursements for moving expenses must be approved by the president or the divisional Vice President.

When an employee is relocated from one workplace to another or relocates to begin a new job, the employer often pays for the costs of the move, either directly or by reimbursing the employee for moving expenses. Generally, if an employer reimburses an employee or pays a third party directly for moving expenses that qualify for a tax deduction, the amount reimbursed or paid is not included in the employee’s income. All other amounts paid or reimbursed must be included in income and are subject to federal income-tax withholding, social security, and Medicare taxes. The following paragraphs explain the current rules governing the tax treatment of job-related moving expenses.

Initial Tests of Deductibility Distance and Time

Before expenses of a job-related move can be considered deductible and reimbursements for these expenses excluded from income, two tests must be met:

1. The new workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from the employee’s old residence than the previous workplace was. If there was no previous workplace, the new workplace must be at least 50 miles from the employee’s old residence.

2. During the 12-month period immediately following the move, the employee must work full-time for at least 39 weeks in the general location of the new workplace.

If the employer reasonably believes the employee will meet these two tests, payments made to a third party or reimbursements made to the employee for expenses related to the move are not included in income, provided the expenses themselves meet the tests for deductibility. This results in an “Excludible Relocation,” which is a non-taxable fringe benefit.

If the two tests are not met, the reimbursements are considered a taxable fringe benefit.  

There are two types of deductible moving expenses:

  • Transportation and in-transit storage of household goods and personal effects; and
  • Traveling from old residence to new residence (includes lodging but not meals) .

Non qualified expenses include meals, house-hunting and lease breaking.

Transportation of Household Goods

All reasonable expenses incurred in packing and moving household goods and personal effects to the new residence and storing and insuring them while in transit are deductible. Storage costs constitute ‘in-transit” expenses if they are incurred within 30 days after the goods and effects are moved from the old residence and before delivery to the new residence. The employer can reimburse the employee for the expenses or pay a moving company directly.

Expenses of Traveling from Old Residence to New Residence

While traveling from the employee’s old residence to the new residence, all reasonable expenses incurred, such as transportation and lodging during the trip, are deductible. However, a deduction for meal expenses is no longer allowed while traveling to the new residence. The mileage rate for moving expenses is available from the Accounts Payable Office.

Household Members

The deduction for an employee’s moving expenses includes amounts spent on transporting and storing household goods and personal effects belonging to members of the employee’s household who live in both the old and new residences. Their reasonable expenses in traveling from the old residence to the new residence are also a deductible expense to the employee.

IMPORTANT: Moving expenses are deductible only to the extent they are reasonable in relationship to the move. This means the shortest and most direct routes must be taken when traveling and conventional modes of transportation must be use. If not, any excess expense incurred is not deductible. Also, lodging expenses incurred while traveling may not be “lavish or extravagant.”